Canton Spice Co., Cyber Hub, Gurgaon


All right, the third one in the row.  Same crazy night when me and my childhood mate were painting the streets of Gurgaon red.  So after the two joints, our third place to check out was Canton. Now the recommendation  was to definitely have the sea food and the lamb. We came in and the were not too sure about this place until we said, what the heck, lets go for it.

The interiors were pretty basic to be honest. Not too stereotyped Chinese and probably simple wooden décor. We looked at the menu although we knew it wouldn’t be a meal. We had already had food elsewhere and probably needed some starters.  We settled in for the Kung Pao Prawns and a couple of LIT’s.

While LIT's are LIT’s, it was a bit strong and I think I have had better tastings LIT’s. The prawns came soon and when I saw it, I was startled. Startled because it had hardly any quantity. It came in a small plate – like the saucer in the cup plate set. I was instantly smiling and thinking, bloody Gurgaon, everyone is out to rip you. Imagine what 700 bucks gets you- a small plate with some prawns. Amazing!

Anyways, the prawns were served and looked gorgeous. A little oil flowing creepily in  the side. Some green shallots, some peanuts, sliced garlic in a red thick sauce. Interesting. In some ways, I perhaps thought I was having small quantities of tapas ;-). Now one bit into the prawns and tell you what- I am stunned. Unbelievable and out of world. I have never tasted something as delicious as this. As it is, I crave for Indian Chinese, and then I come over here to have the prawns. I am speechless. The taste is amazing. Not too hot and spicy, with a delicious saucy texture.  I simply loved it. The quality of prawns were good. And the spices were well balanced. I loved the peanuts on the dish.

Just to give you a context, I tried another prawn starters a few days later at my most favorite restaurant. The prawns at canton won it hands down.
Highly recommended and yes, I do want to come here again to give it a try for another dish perhaps.


17-18, Cyber Hub, DLF Cyber City, Gurgaon

Comments