Breakfast scene in Singapore @Bedok Junction

All right, this one is a crazy one. I was in Singapore for transit, and had 3-4 hours in between. I decided to go out and get my running shoes from a friend – I had in fact left it at his place. We decide to meet up at a central point called Bedok Junction. I take a quick train and while I am waiting for him, I decide to explore the interchange. In Singapore,  you have these food courts, which are also called hawker centers. I go to this food court and there are loads of shops open at 7 in the morning. I decide to explore and see long queues in front of a number of shops.

Seems the local popular options for brekkie include the Nasi Lemak or Noodles called the bee-hoon.

This was at a Signature curry house. Surprisingly what a long line for this store, which also sells signature crispy chicken cutlet and rice.

Another nearby store and this one has a DIY noodles. You have got all different ingredients including yellow noodles, white glass noodles, eggs etc. Similarly there is the Merah Delima Stall- funny enough, Mera in Hindi means My. So Merah Dillema sounds like My dilemma. Quite true because you have an array of condiments and ready to eat food. Ranging from eggs, fried chicken, fried fish cakes, fish balls, beans and a whole heaps of other ingredients all on display. There are in fact all these little shops which are all prepared at 7 in the morning and probably ready for the day. Seems the favorites are bee hoon, which are like really thin noodles, which people may have with fried chicken, or there is the nasi lemak, mee gorenge, fried chicken etc. 

I was passing the Macca’s there and they had a Nasi Lemak Burger. Imagine how famous it is over here.


So a lot of fried stuff and it seems these dishes are probably common throughout the day. The best thing in Singapore is the price. Like seriously you can have a mean for $5. Can you beat that! 







Comments